Kolkata: The Kolkata Knight Riders’ (KKR) much-anticipated home clash against Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) on April 6 at Eden Gardens is likely to be rescheduled, as city police have not granted security clearance due to Ram Navami celebrations.
BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari had earlier announced that over 20,000 processions would take place across West Bengal on Ram Navami, significantly increasing security requirements throughout the state.
Following two rounds of discussions with city police on Tuesday, Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Snehasish Ganguly confirmed that authorities “have not given the go-ahead” for the match.
“They have categorically said they won’t be able to provide adequate security. If there’s no police protection, accommodating a 65,000-strong crowd becomes impossible,” Snehasish stated.
“We have informed the BCCI, and there is still time to take a final call. Even last year, a scheduled IPL match on Ram Navami had to be rescheduled,” he added.
The encounter between KKR and LSG, owned by RPSG Group chairman Sanjiv Goenka, was expected to draw a massive crowd, as both franchises enjoy strong local support.
Last season, a similar situation led to the rescheduling of KKR’s fixture against Rajasthan Royals due to security concerns on Ram Navami.
Meanwhile, the 2025 IPL season is set to commence at Eden Gardens on March 22, with defending champions KKR taking on Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB). The season opener will be preceded by a grand 35-minute opening ceremony, with ICC chairman Jay Shah and other dignitaries expected to attend.
“It’s a marquee match with full demand for tickets. Eden Gardens is set to host an opening ceremony after a long time,” Snehasish said, declining to reveal further details about the event.
As fans await an official announcement from the BCCI, KKR supporters will hope for a swift resolution to the scheduling issue to ensure a smooth start to their team’s campaign at home.